Friday, February 10, 2012

Puppy love and the three stooges

Bedtime is not as "routine" as it should be in our house.  We have every intention, and actually do fall within the same time frame at night, but sometimes it just doesn't go according to plan. The other night was no exception.  It started with Caroline and I coming home to a tree on fire- for the record, said tree was a neighbors and it was from them burning their property.  It just happened to be right on the roadway for all to see---especially 5-year olds with fabulous imaginations.  It is that time of year and since we live "out" in the country we have been enjoying smoky-day every day this week.  Any who, Caroline was very intrigued by this tree and very concerned to boot.  I did my best to explain why some people burn their land, and she did very well to try to understand and not call 911.  We checked on the tree every 10-20 minutes before bedtime and I told her that if it didn't go out before too long, I bet the nice firemen would come put it out for safety.  She told me that we would listen for the sirens and asked if I heard them after she went to sleep, to please wake her so she could see the truck.  I agreed, she seemed fine and crawled into bed. Trying to get her to not obsess about said fire, I turned her focus on to the dogs.  They were in her room and Genga (our large GSD) was very intent on snuggling with Caroline.  So, two gallant attempts and the "puppy" was on the bed, between me and Caroline, getting hugs and giving kisses.  Caroline adores Genga and laughed that Genga was laying like we were with her head on her pillow.  The more Caroline laughed, the more Genga seemed to want to "play" and thuse our quiet bedtime attempt started to fade.  I got the girls calmed down to only have Caroline sit up real fast, startle Genga and they headbutted each other.  Caroline grabbed her forehead and dropped back on her pillow.  Not knowing if she was hurt or not, I started to sit up (cannot do it fast as trying to get from horizontal to vertical at 8.5 months pregnant isn't too easy) and was met with Genga taking her giant bear-paw to my eye which sent me back down holding my face as well.  As I am trying to make sure that my eyeball is actually still in my socket and try to get to Caroline, I hear her trying to catch her breath from laughing so hard.  She wasn't hurt at all, but thought the headbutt was hysterical and the fact that I got puppy-punched in the face to be even funnier.  So, Caroline and I are laying there, hands on some part of our faces and Genga sits us and starts kissing both of us.  More laughs and dog slobber passed and I had to end this accident-prone sleep time.  I told Caroline that if Genga stayed in the bed they could sleep together and I walked on out.  To my surprise (ok, not really) Genga actually stayed in the bed with Caroline for a while.  As I am cleaning up and attempting to get the house in order, what drives in front of the house--yep, the firetruck.  The whole time we were in her room with the three stooges moves in place, the Thomas Co. FD was across the street putting out the fire. 


So, we missed the big event of the night, but honestly with the punch to the eye I probably would not have seen much.  I think it was more important to Caroline to have her puppy snuggle than to see the big red truck in action. 

No comments:

Post a Comment