Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Birthday parties are for the insane...

Let's talk about my new stressor- birthday parties and the fact they make me realize what an unorganized freak I have become.

I love my child more than life itself.  Her birthday falls on the holiday break and I do not feel she should "lose out" on any celebration(s) just because I decided (you know, it was ALL my fault) to have her 4 days after Christmas.  She cannot "celebrate" in school since her b'day will never fall on a school day.  Actually, you know what...she CAN celebrate in school if her mother wasn't such a jackass and had actually asked and planned to bring cupcakes in before she left for break, but she (me, the mother) is an apparent forgetful jackass.  Doing that would have required me to be organized, and well...we all know how that works.  So, back to the task at hand.  Caroline got to celebrate her actual birthday in St. Augustine as we visted Jay's mom to celebrate Christmas with her and her crew.  We then tackled the BIG event of the year (or one's life) with heading to Disney World the next day.  While I know that is a BIG birthday perk, it still (in my eyes) is not her "birthday" party as she was with her family and it was a family vacation.  So, I still felt (and feel) that she should get to have a party with her friends from school and such.  I (last minutely) scramble to call the YMCA and get the one date/time they have --which shockingly goes in my favor as it was the date we were hoping for- and book the gymasium for a "gymastics" party - which is what Caroline has been asking for since summer.  I throw together invites - yes, these are now the days of times of the "fill-in-the-blank" invites as having cute ones printed is not in the cards (pun intended) and get them off to her school and her class at the YMCA.  I am now starting to "regret" that maybe I am indeed going overboard and should have just chilled out.  That thought only came to light when sweet hubby told me I was crazy for booking it and a few other members of the fam, said it was too much as well.   Really?  How can it be "too" much for a FIVE year old to celebrate a party with her friends?  Maybe I am being overdramatic, but it's not her fault that all of this falls within the timeframe of her b'day.

To add to my stress, I also found out there is another party, same time, same day, with a child we adore (from her YMCA class), so now my stress is even higher as I worry no one will show up to my child's party.  And, am I the only one out there who thinks like this?  I take the lack of RSVPs and a small pool of mommy friends as a very personal for a reflection of my child.  Doesn't she deserve for me to be more outgoing?  Doesn't she deserve for me to make more mommy friends so she has more of a social life?  I know she has friends, but this is only her second year in "school" and she's 5---her "BFF" changes on a daily basis.  Also, there are about 5 kids with the same name, so which __________ am I supposed to invite, and who do I invite if not the entire class?  I don't know...it is all too much.  I do know that there will be loving and caring people there, dear friends and family who we adore and Caroline won't care if there are 2 people from school, or 12.  She will have fun, play, and just enjoy one more celebration of her turning 5.  We will have snacks, sing, and eat cake---HOLY SHIT, I have to order the f*&(ing cake!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment