Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Caroline's Canine Safety Rules

There is no denying that we own a dog who we love and adore.  Genga is just one of those special dogs that come into your life once in a blue moon.  I see the love her and Caroline have for each other, and proudly reflect on the love and special bond I shared with my sweet Bailey.  Although Bailey was with us for Caroline's early years, he passed while she was still young enough to not really get to understand how fabulous he was. So, now I am so grateful Caroline has the chance to grow up with a "great" dog and learn so many lessons from.  With that said, Caroline had a few lessons of her own to teach Genga this morning. 

This morning was a cool and rainy morning, so Genga basked in getting her first blow-out as I took the hair dryer to her coat as I was doing my own hair this morning- yes, I blow dried Genga's coat...don't judge.  Genga assumed the position of resting in the closet (it is a large walk in that is part of our bath) while I finished getting ready.  Caroline came in for her turn and what happened next was one of the sweetest exchanges I have seen.  I asked Caroline to get on the step stool so I could put her hair up.  She said "ok, Mommy, but I need to tell Genga something first."  Assuming this was another delay tactic I said "ok, but hurry up.." and waited to see what would happen next.  Caroline sat down with Genga (who was staring at Caroline the whole time) and said "Genga, I lub you bery much and I want you to be safe so there are rules you need to know about."  I did my best not to giggle as I had no idea where this was going and stood there to see what came out of her mouth next.  Please note, as this list of "rules" was given to Genga, Caroline held Genga's face with her left hand and was using the fingers on her right to "count" out the five rules which were to follow.  Here are the rules in Caroline's order.

1- "Genga, always listen to mommy and daddy.  They lub you-well, I know Mommy does,  bery much and my mommy wants you to be a good girl- remember though...I am your mommy and you are Pam's mommy but we can talk about that later."

2- "Genga, never-ever go to the road.  There are cars that go by fast and you cannot play in the road...pwease do not get hit, so do not go to that road.  The road is BAD and you cannot go up there- okay?"

3- "Genga, please do not eat a chicken.  Mommy will get mad at you and you do not want her to be mad at you..."

4- "Genga, when you go outside I need you to listen to me when I call your name.  Pwease do not go to the neighbor's house as that is not your yard.  You have a nice yard."

5- "Genga, pwease, pwease, pwease always be with us.  I lub you bery much and do not want you to get hurt.  So, don't leave me or mommy...or the house...or the yard. Okay?"


The tone of her voice and how Genga sat there without taking her eyes off of Caroline melted my heart.  I love these two together and am so glad Caroline and Genga have become so close.  As we walked out to the car (we left Genga in today so she didn't have to be out in the yucky weather) I told Caroline to watch her step as it could be slippery.  She turned and said "wait!  Rule #....(counting on her fingers at this point)...6! Genga, watch where you step so you do not slip and fall and get hurt."  She then got in the car and said "Mommy, thanks for saying that--I forgot to tell Genga that in the bathroom."

And so, this is the begining of Caroline Knight's "canine safety rules to follow" list that I know may grow later on today.

One can only hope.

Kerri

1 comment: