Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Hey, Cassanova-- I've got my eye on you!

My daughter appears to be a full-fledged flirt at the ripe old age of 4.  She is cute (I am partial) and can be charming (again, partial momma here) and seems to know many young boys at school and the YMCA.  She also can charm just about all ofher daddy's friends and has used her talent to get added on to the wedding invite of someone who said we can only come if Caroline comes. For the record, she has a "boyfriend" who we really like (c'mon, he is adorable,5 and is half-italian...what's not to love) plus-his parents are cool and Jay and I are hoping to add them to are arsenal of bad-ass parent friends, but we are trying to do so without coming across as desperate...another story for another post I guess.  Anyway, back to the soap opera of "as the toddler-times turn".   About a month ago, I go to the Y to pick up Caroline.  As we are walking towards the front doors I hear "hey Caroline" and turn to see (as Caroline throws my hand away and runs to the voice) who this non-female-voice belonged to.  When I turn, I see a young man- in football gear- who appears to be roughly 10 years old.  He hugs Caroline, pats her on the back and tells her he will "see her later."  I am somewhat in shock.  "Why is this man-child calling my 4-year old by name?"  "How does he know her since he is in a different part of the building?" "What does that punk mean by 'see you later'..."  Then I calm down and think "ok, no biggie, he seems very sweet and is just being nice."  Caroline comes skipping back to me and we walk to the car.  Not one to drop it, I asked her "Caroline, who was that?"  She replies with a "he's my friend."  I asked "what is your friend's name?"  She gives me the "I don't know, mommy" answer in what I detected (and swear I heard) a pre-teen tone. I laugh it off and try to think nothing of it.  We see football cassanova several times a week and he is always the same, nice "hugger" and smiles and begins to wave at me--now, I am starting not to trust him.  We see him at the ball park and yet again, super-sweet manners "hey Caroline, how are you?"  etc. Then I hear him turn to him mom and say "Mom, that is Caroline" as he points at us as we walk away.  The mom giggles (in  my mind I am asking "why the hell is she giggling?") but then just make it back to the car still trying to pump more information from Caroline about this boy--who did I mention, I no longer trust.  We have about a week of not seeing said Romeo until yesterday....that little bastard (ok, only kidding I would never call someone else's child a name...but I am telling a story here so don't judge) is hugging up on some other little 4-5 year old girl.  Not to be outdone, Caroline runs over to hug him and....well, lets just say he wasn't as excited as he had been every other time I saw him lure my child away from my arms with his macho "athlete" swagger.  I give him the eye---YES, I gave that little punk the eye and pretty much conveyed the message of "back off you two-timing punk" to his beady little 120 month old eyes or you will need those shoulder pads for another reason--and we walk on out.  I know he is only 10, he is probably harmless and maybe even has a ton of sisters at home and is just a sweet, nice kid.  But....I know his kind in their 20s and 30s and have labeled him immediately.  I only want to protect my daughter.  I want her to be strong, but not bossy, to be funny, but not distracting, to trust, but not to get hurt and if I can nip one potential heartbreaker this early on I will.  So, I remind Caroline we need to go see her age-appropriate boyfriend and get an icecream with him.  See...nothing like treating this break-up (oh yeah, football cassanova isn't even going to look at my child again) with delicious dairy sweets this early on!    

No comments:

Post a Comment