Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Flagged as that "crazy" mom

So, with the things that my child comes up with-and the things that come out of her mouth- I feel as though I should be a walking Caroline disclaimer. I understand my child and her sense of humor, but others may not and I will never fault them for that...ok, I may laugh at them and feel sad they don't know good humor, but will not fault them. One person whom I feel needs clarity on some things is Caroline's teacher.  She is, by far, one of the sweetest people you could meet...and that is what makes me so nervous.  I don't want her to judge me as I like her, and want to stay on friendly terms with her.   I worry that since she has my child for 30 hours a week, she must be exposed to things that could really make her question our family.  Not that there is anything to question, but with the dealing of our chickens, two crazy dogs, horses and nutty family, Caroline's relaying of information could come across as "bizarre" to those on the outside.  I have probably asked for it, but I believe I have flagged myself as the "crazy-email" mom.  I work full-time and do not have the luxury of picking up my child from school every day.  I do get to walk her to class every morning, but it is not the best time to try to “catch” anyone for a quick conversation.  I decided email was the best way to pass on messages and gain insight.  I have officially sent two doozies of topics emails to her teacher, doing my best to explain something that could potentially come out of my child's mouth.  The first one was in reference to the possibility that Caroline may or may not say something about “removing" a baby - long story- and the second one, well that was today.  This week is the "so no to drugs" week and the school has "themed" cute days for the kids.  Yesterday was "sock it to drugs" Monday where the kids got to wear silly socks.  Today was "too cool for drugs" where the kids got to wear sunglasses.  As Caroline and I are getting in the car, she asked me why she got to wear her sunglasses.  I said "because you are too cool for drugs" and she replies with "ok, great! Mommy...what are drugs?"  Trying not to panic, or be too technical, I did my best to come up with a simple and clear answer…but it clearly wasn't working. I could have used the Latin medical terms for particular drugs and she would not have looked at me any different.  So, in my quest to regain control of this situation and thinking I hit the explanation jack-pot, I used our dog as part of the explanation.  She seemed very excited to remember that Genga (the “police” dog) used to get the bad guys and drugs and was very happy.  She said she could tell her class and that it was cool.  The look on her face convinced me I had a small victory on my hands.  We stopped talking about illegal substances and went on to our morning ritual of singing old rock songs and making Justin Bieber (the car) poot---another story for a different post.  I walk my little sweet pea in to class, get my morning high-five, hug and kiss, and off I go.  As I walk back to the car I start to think about her mentioning Genga in class.  I smile, kind of chuckle, and then…panic.  I fear that she has just walked in to her class declaring “my dog finds drugs!” and no one really knowing what she may mean by that…and it worried me.  I debate over sending “crazy mom” email #2 and decide to go for it.  To my surprise I get the classic “LOL- that is funny, she never mentioned the dog” response and felt better.  Her teacher is going to ask her about it tomorrow, so I will send her with a photo of said “police” dog and hope that 21 other children don’t go home to tell their parents that “did you know that Caroline has a dog that likes to eat drugs?”
Maybe we just cut our list of those who would come to our birthday party in half.

1 comment:

  1. Less kids at the party means more drugs for everyone else, right? :)

    ReplyDelete