Monday, October 17, 2011

Baby #2

Well, I figure I should get you all up to speed.  We (on behalf of my crew) are very excited to say that we are welcoming a new addition to our posse this March.  While I will not go into details as I know no one cares to really know about my innards, I will add that this has been a tough journey.  We never went through IVF or other treatments (but let me tell you, the thought was brewing in the back of our minds) but we have tried for this addition for years now.  We came close last fall but had an EPIC fail a few days prior to Christmas last year---not fun, but luckily I was engrossed in fabulous family for a nice season that it helped to get through.  Loss of pregnancies is not new to us.  We have lost several and they are no fun---really, they suck.  We never thought we would have to even think about miscarriage since we were blessed to have a healthy pregnancy, and successful birth with Caroline.  So in fall 2010 when we got pregnant again, we were excited.  10 weeks in, that excitement turned into another heartbreak after a routine visit.  One emergency surgical procedure before everyone went on Christmas break and we were off to recover and mope in our sorrow.  We told ourselves it happened for a reason, but it still stung.  Jay said we should try again, but I said I wasn't sure I could handle this happening again.  So we decided to just let it go.  My new year's resolution was to offer it up...if it happened great, if not, it was not in the cards.  I had a few bad days here or there, but I felt as though I was handling it well....well, well enough. I decided to focus on other things and expand our critter crew (probably part of the reason I am a chicken farmer now). I even used my baby-emotions to get Jay to allow me to take in another furry baby.  It is very hard for a man to say "no" to "well, since I cannot seem to have human babies, at least let me have another furry one"--Jay said that was the best play I have used so far in our marriage. :)  Love the man, got the dog, and two months later found myself puking at a conference.  So here we are just shy of 18 weeks pregnant and doing great.  Due to my "advanced maternal age"--damn, I hate that label- I have been tested like crazy.  I am pleased to report that we are all clear to welcome a healthy bambino thus far.  I have an appointment in a few more weeks to find out if we are having a boy of girl.  I will say that I really do not care...I am just glad there are no abnormalities detected and I just want to go full term and deliver and healthy happy bundle of joy. I will take either and like my doctor said "it is already determined, you just have to wait to find out."  Caroline said the last ultrasound picture (it was around 13 weeks) made the baby look like Pam--our little dog--but I reassured her the baby was a human and we would see more of him/her in print soon.  So, in a few weeks, I will update what we are having and then I will let the games begin!  Jay and I feel beyond blessed at this opportunity, but we are also realistic in knowing that this is it for us.  With my age, and the trend of "lose a baby, have a baby, lose a baby, have another" I am going to end on a positive note.  With that said, we also decided we are going to "go big or go home."  I am going to enjoy this.  I am not going to stress.  I am going to wear snug shirts that show my growing belly.  I am going to get up and eat a snack if I am hungry--and not worry about late night calories.  I am going to enjoy this, not hide it and bask in the beauty of this additional blessing.  Our sweet daughter Caroline is very excited.  She pats my tummy and tells her little sibling she loves him/her and then pokes it and says something sassy.  She is sweet and caring, inquisitive and ready for her role as a big sister.  We are ready too!

No comments:

Post a Comment